VOLUNTEERISM & VOLUNTEER MANAGEMENT
This line of research explores two aspects of volunteerism that most interest me based on my personal experiences -- managing volunteers in ways that maximize their contributions to the organizations and clients they serve, and membership trends in voluntary associations.
- Rogers, S. E. (2017). Strategic management practices help hospitals get the most from volunteers. Cornell Hospitality Report, 17(5): 3-9.
- Rogers, S. E., Jiang, K., Rogers, C. M., & Intindola, M. L. (2016). Strategic human resource management of volunteers and the link to hospital patient satisfaction. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 45: 409-424.
- Intindola, M. L., Rogers, S. E., Flinchbaugh, C. L., & Della Pietra, D. (2016). Hospital administrative characteristics and volunteer management practices. Journal of Health Organization and Management, 30: 372-389.
- Rogers, S. E., Rogers, C. M., & Boyd, K. (2013). Challenges and opportunities in healthcare volunteer management: Insights from volunteer administrators. Hospital Topics, 91: 43-51.
Using the U.S. airline industry as context, I study multiple topics regarding labor unions and collective bargaining. And in higher education, I've been exploring the issue of whether or not graduate research and teaching assistants are employees (in addition to students) and eligible to become unionized.
- Rogers S. E., Eaton, A. E., Voos, P. B., Chang, T. F. H., & Valenzuela, M. A. (Forthcoming). Assessing employee support during union organizing campaigns. Labor Studies Journal.
- Davison, R., & Rogers, S. E. (2017). seniority_list: An open-source decision-support tool for airline merger labor integration. Cornell Hospitality Tool, 17(2): 1-25.
- Eaton, A. E., Rogers, S. E., Chang, T. F. H., & Voos, P. B. (2014). Choosing union representation: The role of attitudes and emotions. Industrial Relations Journal, 45: 169-188.
- Rogers, S. E., Eaton, A. E., & Voos, P. B. (2013). Effects of unionization on graduate student employees: Faculty-student relations, academic freedom, and pay. Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 66: 487-510.
human resource management
My published and in-progress work in this area explores employment discrimination and workforce diversity issues, as well as the link between strategic HR practices and employee, group, and organizational outcomes. I've also written about web-based recruitment practices, and HRM in nonprofit organizations.
- Pittz, T. G., Intindola, M. L., Adler, T. R., Rogers, S. E., & Gard, C. (Forthcoming). Collaborating smartly: The role of open strategy in absorptive capacity. Journal of Small Business Management.
- Kruse, D., Schur, L., Rogers, S. E., & Ameri, M. (In press). Why do workers with disabilities earn less? Occupational job requirements and disability discrimination. British Journal of Industrial Relations.
- Intindola, M. L., Lewis, G., Flinchbaugh, C., & Rogers, S. E. (In press). Web-based recruiting’s impact on organizational image and familiarity: Too much of a good thing? International Journal of Human Resource Management.
- DeCostanza, A. H., DiRosa, G. A., Rogers, S. E., Slaughter, A. J., & Estrada, A. X. (2012). Researching teams: Nothing’s going to change our world. Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Perspectives on Science and Practice, 5: 36-39.